The Scout Mid Cap Equity Strategy seeks long-term growth of capital while aiming to consistently outperform the Russell Midcap® Index throughout a full market cycle (three to five years) with less than commensurate risk.
We believe actively managing a portfolio of attractively valued, high-quality mid-cap companies which we expect to benefit from company specific or macro catalysts, can help generate relative, risk-adjusted outperformance over full market cycles.
We conduct disciplined, bottom-up research on mid-sized companies that are likely to benefit from prevailing sector or industry themes, with particular focus on these factors:
- Financial strength: analysis of the company’s cash flow, income statements and balance sheet
- Determine intrinsic value:
- Discounted earnings model – proprietary model with customized inputs; used to measure upside potential
- Relative Valuation – downside risk assessment using measures such as price-to-book, price-in-earnings, etc.
- Catalysts for appreciation: identify catalysts that can be company specific or top-down and may include management change, new market or a technology change
- Company-specific risk: analyze accounting and revenue recognition to determine earnings quality
- Macro theme formulation: A top-down overlay includes the team’s monitoring of key economic and sentiment indicators, which helps the portfolio managers formulate the macro themes that influence sector and industry allocation.
This material is provided for informational purposes only and contains no investment advice or recommendations to buy, sell or hold any specific securities. You should not interpret the statements in this material as investment, tax, legal, or financial planning advice. All investments involve risk, including the possible loss of principal. Past performance does not guarantee or indicate future results. There is no assurance the investment strategy will meet its investment objective. Graphs or other illustrations, if included, are provided for illustrative purposes only and not intended as a recommendation to buy or sell securities displaying similar characteristics. Scout Investments, and its fixed income division Reams Asset Management, is a wholly owned subsidiary of Carillon Tower Advisers, which in turn is a wholly owned subsidiary of Raymond James Financial, Inc. Neither Scout Investments, its affiliates, directors, officers, employees nor agents accept any liability for any loss or damage arising out of your use of all or any part of this material. Additional information is available at www.scoutinv.com or www.reamsasset.com.
Mid-cap and small-cap stocks may temporarily fall out of favor or perform poorly relative to other types of investments. While stocks of mid-cap companies may be slightly less volatile than those of small-cap companies, they still involve substantial risk.